The advisory said the U.S. Embassy in Mexico has already advised Americans that its consulate in Playa del Carmen has been closed until further notice.
US government employees are now not allowed to travel to the area until further notice and some cruise lines have cancelled excursions that involve ferries in the area.
Just in time for spring break, Canadians are being warned to be careful if they're travelling to a certain part of Mexico, after an explosion on a ferry carrying tourists to Cozumel hurt more than 20 passengers last month. "We encourage travelers to be aware of surroundings and exercise caution", Nauert said Wednesday night. Local authorities found a second, undetonated device on another ferry on March 1.
Samardzija said he went back to Playa del Carmen in January and he has "never felt unsafe" in the tourist destination.
The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City posted the notice on its website Wednesday.
"We do not know the reason for the decision of the USA government to issue this statement", the office said, adding that it is ready to cooperate with the U.S.to ensure the safety of USA tourists.
The state government also stressed the safety of the destination, noting that President Enrique Peña Nieto is scheduled to visit Playa del Carmen today for an ocean conservation conference, the Associated Press reported. The state of Quintana Roo also comes with a Level 2 warning.
"As the safety and security of our guests and crew is our highest priority, our security department remains in close contact with government and private sources as well as our local agents and tour operators and continues to monitor the situation", Princess Cruises said in a statement last Friday. It specifically mentioned risks of traveling to certain parts due to the ongoing cartel violence and warned that US citizens have been the victims of violent crimes including homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery. "Shooting incidents injuring or killing bystanders have occurred".